Monday, February 18, 2008

Balsamic Chicken with Pesto Gravy and Bitter Greens

I made this on Valentine's Day to feed the missionaries serving in my YSA ward and my friend Randy who came over too. I was able to make it after work! I got home at 5pm and everyone was there at 6:25pm. Dinner was hot and on the table at 6:35pm!!!

I snagged the recipe from a Rachel Ray recipe book I got for Christmas. Yummy!
("Just In Time"; Pg. 236) MY comments are in brackets.

2 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
4 Tablespoons EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil)
Salt and black pepper
4 Small boneless, skinless chicken breasts
About 6 cups arugula, thoroughly washed and dried [I used regular mixed salad greens and it worked out great.]
Juice of 1 lemon
2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 Cups chicken stock
1/3 Cup heavy cream or half-and-half [Regular whipping cream works great too.]
1/4 Cup store-bought pesto
Parmigiano-Reggiano shavings, made with a vegetable peeler.

In a bowl, combine the vinegar, 2 tablespoons of the EVOO, and salt and pepper to taste. Add the chicken and turn to coat.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with 1 tablespoon of the EVOO. Add the checken and cook for 5 minutes on each side.

While the chicken is cooking, in a large bowl combine the arugula, lemon juice, a healthy drizzle of EVOO, and salt and pepper to taste.

Remove the chicken to a cutting board. Add the butter to the skillet, and when it has melted, add the flour and cook for a minute or so. Whisk in the chicken stock and cream and bring up to a simmer to thicken. Remove from the heat and stir in the pesto. [This was the first gravy I've ever made, kinda fun!]

Slice the chicken and arrange on dinner plates. Pour the pesto gravy over the chicken, then top with the arugula and cheese shavings.

[I also lightly fried some sliced eggplant in EVOO with salt and pepper and garnished the plate with them and a fresh lemon wheel. It was a nice touch, and added an extra vegetable to the meal in addition to the salad I threw together... it was a great thing for me too, since I was still on my chellenge to not eat meat, dairy, or eggs. The elders and Randy loved the chicken, I can't vouch for it myself though.]

No comments: